Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) thresholds, rates and aggregation rules
CAT thresholds groups and amounts
Gifts and Inheritances taken by a Spouse or Civil Partner are exempt.
You do not have to pay tax on a gift or inheritance if its taxable value is below a particular group threshold. The threshold you use depends on your relationship to the disponer. You must pay tax on any remaining value above that threshold.
There are three group thresholds that apply from 7 December 2011.
A ‘child’ includes a son, daughter, stepchild and certain foster children.
The Group A threshold applies where you, the beneficiary, on the date of the gift or inheritance are:
- a child of the:
- disponer’s spouse or civil partner (commomly known as a stepchild)
- a minor child, under 18 years of age, of a deceased child of the:
- disponer (commonly known as a grandchild)
- disponer’s spouse or civil partner (commonly known as a step-grandchild)
- a minor child of the spouse or civil partner of a deceased child of the:
- disponer’s spouse or civil partner
- a parent of the disponer and you take an absolute interest (that is, not a limited interest) of the inheritance on the death of your child.
The Group B threshold applies where you, the beneficiary, on the date of the gift or inheritance are:
- a parent of the disponer, where you take a gift or a limited interest
- a brother or sister of the disponer
- a child of a brother or sister of the disponer (Favourite Nephew or Niece Relief may apply)
- a child of the civil partner of a brother or sister of the disponer
- a grandparent of the disponer
- a grandchild of the disponer
- a lineal ancestor or a lineal descendant of the disponer.
The Group C threshold applies where you, the beneficiary, on the date of the gift or inheritance have a relationship to the disponer not already covered in Groups A or B.
Group tax-free thresholds
Each group has a threshold amount that apply from 7 December 2011.
The threshold is cumulative, so applies to the total taxable benefits you have received in that group. (You must include the taxable value of any previous gifts and inheritances received, since 5 December 1991, in the same group.)
You only have to pay tax on the value of a gift or inheritance above the group tax-free threshold amount.
Tax-free threshold amounts
||Group A||Group B||Group C|
|On or after 9 October 2019
|10 October 2018 - 08 October 2019
|12 October 2016 - 09 October 2018
|14 October 2015 - 11 October 2016
|06 December 2012 - 13 October 2015
|07 December 2011 - 05 December 2012
Next: Historical CAT thresholds