Periods of unemployment


If you are unemployed, you may be able to claim a refund of tax and Universal Social Charge (USC). When you return to work, you should tell Revenue, so that you pay the correct amount of tax in your new job. You may have to pay tax on Jobseeker's Benefit which you received when you were unemployed.

Next: How to claim a tax and USC refund if you are unemployed