Marriage and civil partnerships

Transferring assets between spouses or civil partners

If you are living with your spouse or civil partner and you transfer an asset to them, you will not have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT). Your partner will not have to pay Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) on the transfer, as it is treated as a gift.