Used vehicles purchased in the United Kingdom

Revenue is reminding customers that a V5 certificate is a mandatory requirement when importing a used vehicle from the UK. The V5 certificate is the vehicle registration document issued by the Driver Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA).

Failure to produce a V5 certificate will lead to the re-registration of the vehicle being refused. Revenue will, however, accept Certificates of Permanent Export where they are available.

When purchasing a vehicle in the UK please ensure that the seller gives you parts 1-8 of the V5 certificate. These are the parts required for re-registration in the State. The DVLA in the UK has issued instructions to both private sellers and dealers in this regard.

Any difficulties relating to the V5 certificate and its availability must be addressed to the DVLA directly.

Further information on registration can be found in the Guide to Vehicle Registration Tax.