Collection of Internet Protocol (IP) addresses
When you use the internet, you are assigned an IP address. When you visit our site we record certain technical details in connection with visits to this website. These details are used for a number of purposes, including administering the site, analysing trends and gathering statistics.
The technical details logged are confined to the following items:
- the IP address assigned to you by your Internet Service Provider
- the top-level domain name used (for example, .ie, .com, .org, .net)
- clickstream data which shows the traffic of visitors around this web site (for example, pages accessed and documents downloaded)
- the type of web browser used by the website visitor
- the version of the operating system used by the visitor.
The IP address details are retained by Revenue for 30 days before being deleted.
Except in cases of potential fraud or other criminal investigations, Revenue does not link technical details collected in connection with visits to revenue.ie with your tax data.
Revenue’s use of anonymised IP addresses
Revenue uses open-source analytics software called Matomo to produce statistics about how revenue.ie is used. This helps us to improve our website and your user experience, for example, to help ensure that popular pages are easy to find.
By default, we collect and store the following information about our website visitors’ activity, so that we can produce anonymised statistics and reports using Matomo software:
- Your anonymised IP address – each IP address is masked (anonymised) by removing the last two bytes so that it is impossible to identify a particular individual visitor to the website
- your anonymous browsing experience – such as the revenue.ie web pages you visited, when you visited, links you clicked, your preferred language, and the browser software and device type you used.
The information that we collect and use to produce anonymised statistics and reports is stored in Ireland. We use our own installation of Matomo software to produce the statistics and reports. Revenue’s configuration of Matomo does not use tracking cookies and we do not track revenue.ie visitors across other websites.
The information that Revenue uses to produce statistics about revenue.ie usage is anonymised. However, you still have a choice on whether or not your anonymised website activity is used by Revenue for statistical purposes. Just uncheck the box below if you prefer that your activity on revenue.ie is not collected or stored.
Please note that:
- If you opt-out, Revenue will store your preference as a cookie (mtm_consent_removed) on your device – this cookie is not set if you remain opted-in by default
- if you clear your cookies or delete the opt-out cookie (mtm_consent_removed), or if you change device or web browser, you will need to opt out again
- even if you opt out of your revenue.ie activity being used for statistical purposes, your IP address and activity will still be collected and stored securely for the technical and security reasons set out further above.