Revenue's accessibility statements
Local Property Tax (LPT) accessibility statement
Revenue is committed to making the online LPT system accessible to everyone. This is in accordance with European Union (Accessibility of Websites and Mobile Applications of Public Sector Bodies) Regulations 2020.
This accessibility statement applies to LPT online, accessed via https://lpt.revenue.ie
Measures to support accessibility
To ensure accessibility of the online LPT system, Revenue.ie
- includes accessibility as part of our mission statement
- includes accessibility throughout our internal policies
- provides continual accessibility training for staff.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) define requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. Three levels of conformance are defined: Level A, Level AA and Level AAA.
LPT design follows WCAG Level AA guidelines, as set out by the World Wide Web Consortium. The Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) produces guidelines that are internationally recognised as a benchmark of accessibility.
LPT is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA.
LPT continues to monitor developments and changes in WAI WCAG guidelines and general website best practice.
LPT online relies on the following technologies which work with your web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
- all pages validate as HTML 5, ensuring they work with a wide variety of browsers.
- all font sizes are relative, allowing users to change font size easily via their browser's sizing options feature.
- styling uses only external cascading stylesheet (CSS) files to ensure maximum compatibility.
- content of each page is still readable, even if your browser or device does not support CSS.
- embedded descriptions help users with visual impairments using screen readers.
- all content images used include descriptive alternative text (ALT) attributes.
- each page prints out in highly readable format on standard a A4-sized page.
Limitations and alternatives
Despite best efforts to ensure accessibility, there may be some limitations. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below:
Known limitations of LPT Portal
- Language: The 'Lang' attribute does not change to the selected language on some pages.
- Screen reader technology:
- Reads all elements of drop-downs rather than only what is not visible on screen.
- Some UI components do not have labels.
- Some pages are missing alt attributes.
- Some pages do not have the on-key-press-handler, meaning links can only be accessed using a mouse.
- Some tables have incorrect labelling elements
- Mark-up errors:
- Some pages cannot open HTML tags
- The property valuation guide https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/valuation-guide/index.htm which can be launched from LPT online may have limitations, as it includes third-party software.
We welcome your feedback. If you encounter accessibility barriers on LPT, please contact your relevant Access Officer.
If you are unhappy with Revenue’s response, you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman under the Disability Act.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
The Revenue Commissioners assessed the accessibility of the online LPT system using self-evaluation.
Next: myAccount accessibility statement