How to claim the relief
How to claim if you are a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) taxpayer
The quickest and easiest way is using our online service myAccount to complete an Income Tax Return.
For 2019 and subsequent years:
- Sign in to myAccount.
- Click on the ‘Review your tax 2019-2022’ link in PAYE Services.
- Request 'Statement of Liability'.
- Click on ‘Complete Income Tax Return’.
- In the ‘Tax Credits & Reliefs’ page, select ‘Your job’ and ‘Retirement Relief for Sportspersons’.
- Complete and submit the form.
How to claim if you are self-assessed
Sign into the Revenue Online Service (ROS) and complete the Sportsperson's Relief section on your annual Income Tax Return (Form 11).
Time limit for claims
You must make your claim within four years from the end of the year in which you retire.