Mortgage Interest Relief (Tax Relief at Source - TRS)

Do you qualify for Mortgage Interest Relief?

A loan to purchase, repair, develop or improve may qualify for relief for the years 2004 and 2012 inclusive. The loan must have been for:

  • your home
  • the home of your former or separated spouse or civil partner
  • or
  • the home of a dependent relative for whom you are claiming a dependent relative tax credit.

A home includes a house, flat or mobile home which is on a permanent site. It must have water or other services supplied to it.

You can claim relief if you live in Ireland but work in the United Kingdom. You must have a Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) to claim the relief.

Loans taken out before 2004

You can only claim relief on a top-up loan or equity release loan. You must have taken out these loans between the years 2004 and 2012 inclusive on a pre-2004 loan. You must have used this loan to repair or improve your home.

Loans taken out after 31 December 2012

In certain circumstances, you may claim Mortgage Interest Relief for the years 2013 to 2020 for:

  • a loan taken out in 2013 to construct your home on a site that you bought using a loan taken out in 2012
  • a loan to repair, develop or improve your home, but only where:
    • loan approval was in place in 2012
    • you used part of the loan in 2012
    • you used the balance of the loan in 2013.

You must have received any required planning permission on or before 31 December 2012 to qualify for relief.

You are deemed to have taken out the loan in 2012 if you meet the above conditions.

Next: What type of loan does not qualify?