Cancelling your VAT registration
Cancellation by elected persons
If you have elected to register for Value-Added Tax (VAT), you may cancel your registration by contacting your Revenue office.
You must pay Revenue any excess of VAT refunded to you over the tax paid during a review period. The review period is the lesser of:
- the taxable periods during which the election had effect
- three years prior to the date of application for cancellation.
Calculating the excess of VAT refunded
The VAT to be repaid to Revenue is calculated as follows:
(A + B) - C
- A = the amount of tax repaid to you in the review period.
- B = the tax deductible in respect of intra-Community acquisitions made by you during the review period.
- C = the net total amount of tax (if any) paid by you in the review period.
Next: Cancellation by farmers