Freedom of Information (FOI) in Revenue
Making an FOI request
You can contact us to make a request either by letter or by email and you should:
- state that you are making the request under the FOI Act
- provide as much information as possible to allow us to identify the records you require
- include a daytime telephone number in case there are queries in relation to your request.
Contact details are available in our Contact us section.
For personal requests we may require proof of identity.
How soon will you receive a reply?
In general, we must:
- acknowledge your request within 2 weeks (10 working days) of receipt
- notify you of the decision within 4 weeks (20 working days) of receipt
- redirect your request to the relevant public body within 2 weeks of receipt and notify you accordingly if Revenue does not hold the information you seek.
Is there a fee?
Requests for personal records under FOI are free.
Requests for non-personal records may incur fees for search and retrieval work, including photocopying.
Search and retrieval fee is calculated at €20.00 per hour per person plus €0.04 per page photocopied.
- There is no fee where the cost of search, retrieval and copying is less than €101
- There is a maximum charge of €500 where the cost of search, retrieval and copying is greater than €500 but less than €700.
Where the cost of search, retrieval and copying is greater than €700, we can refuse to process the request. We will give you the opportunity to refine your request in the first instance.
For reduced fee proof of medical card may be necessary.
Next: Is an FOI request always necessary?