Relief for Investment in Corporate Trades for individuals
Start-Up Relief for Entrepreneurs (SURE)
SURE is a tax relief that provides a refund of income tax that you paid in previous years. You can claim the relief if you are starting your own business and you are:
- an employee
- an unemployed person
- a person who has recently been made redundant.
The general conditions for SURE are that you must:
- establish a new company carrying on a new qualifying trading activity
- have mainly Pay As You Earn (PAYE) income in the previous four years
- take up full-time employment in the new company as a director or an employee
- invest cash in the new company by purchasing new shares
- keep the purchased shares for at least four years.
There are a number of specific conditions that the individual and the company must meet in order to qualify for this relief. The following manuals contain more information on the qualifying conditions.
For share issues on or after 1 January 2019:
For share issues on or before 31 December 2018:
Next: Claiming relief for shares