Relief for Investment in Corporate Trades for individuals
Start-Up Relief for Entrepreneurs (SURE)
SURE is a tax relief that provides a refund of income tax that you paid in previous years. You can claim the relief if you are starting your own business and you are:
- an employee
- an unemployed person
- a person who has recently been made redundant.
The general conditions for SURE are that you must:
- establish a new company carrying on a new qualifying trading activity
- have mainly Pay As You Earn (PAYE) income in the previous four years
- take up full-time employment in the new company as a director or an employee
- invest cash in the new company by purchasing new shares
- keep the purchased shares for at least four years.
There are a number of specific conditions that the individual and the company must meet in order to qualify for this relief. The following manuals contain more information on the qualifying conditions:
- for share issues on or after 1 January 2019:
- for share issues on or before 31 December 2018:
Next: Claiming relief for shares