Foreign property

Losses on the disposal of foreign property

You might make a loss when you dispose of a foreign property. You can deduct the loss from any capital gains that you might have if you are:

This does not apply to gains made on the disposal of Irish development land.

Carry-forward foreign capital losses

You might not have capital gains in the year that you dispose of the property. You can carry the loss forward, then set it against future gains.

You cannot set a foreign capital loss against income from an employment or investment.

Next: Foreign Capital Gains Tax (CGT) relief