Charge to tax

All farming is treated as a single trade. This includes having more than one farm or farming as a sole trader and also in partnership. You must combine the profits of all your farming activities to determine your taxable farming profits for that year. 

The profits of the farming trade will be charged to tax under trading income (Case I of Schedule D).

National Co-op Farm Relief Service (FRS) operators

The Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) class of FRS operators (who provide labour only) varies:

  • Class S PRSI applies to an FRS operator's income initially.
  • Class A PRSI applies where the FRS operator continues to be engaged on the same farm for more than 12 months.

Next: Income averaging