Filing your tax return
The content on these pages will help you make your 2020 Income Tax (IT) return and make a self-assessment. There are help videos on:
- opening a pre-populated Form 11
- completing the self-employed income section in the Form 11 (including information for farmers)
- completing the rental income section in the Form 11
- entering PAYE income in your Form 11, including downloading pre-populated pay, tax and USC data
- claiming tax relief for pension contribution in your Form 11
- making a full self-assessment.
Please ensure that you complete the:
- ‘IT Self-Assessment’ panel
- ‘Statement of Net Liabilities’
- pay on Revenue Online Service (ROS).
ROS help section
You can refer to the ROS ‘Help Section’ at the top of each panel of the form.
Warning or error messages
When you ‘Save’ or ‘Sign and Submit’ your Form 11 you may get a warning message. This is to draw your attention to an item or entry in the return that may need correction. If the entry is incorrect you must go back and amend this. If the entry is correct you can continue to ‘Save’ or ‘Sign and Submit’.
An error message will prevent you from saving your Form 11 until an entry is corrected. The field with the error will be highlighted. It may be necessary to go back to an earlier screen, for example the 'Personal Details' panel to update an entry.
You may have acquired shares at less than their market value under an unapproved share option scheme. If so, you are due to pay Income Tax on the income gain arising. The income gain is the difference between the market value on the exercise date and the price paid (if any) to acquire the shares.
You need to complete and return your tax return (Form 11) by 31 October in the following tax year. It must contain details of all taxable income including share option gains for the particular tax year and any payments made in respect of:
- Relevant Tax on a Share Option (RTSO)
- Universal Social Charge (USC)
- Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI).
Any payments made will be set against your total IT, USC and PRSI liability for the particular tax year.
You can find more information on the unapproved share option page.
ROS Revenue Record (Inbox)
There are a number of videos on the website to explain the Revenue Record service to agents and customers.
Next: Key steps in filing your tax return