Temporary admission rules and procedures

Temporary admission using an ATA carnet

You can use an ATA carnet to temporarily import or export certain goods into or out of the European Union (EU). The carnet is issued in the country from where the goods are exported. You must present the ATA carnet with the goods when they arrive in the EU.

If you use an ATA carnet you will not have to complete the customs declarations or other formalities normally required at import. The carnet also provides security to cover the duty on the goods you import. The following goods can be entered for temporary admission using an ATA carnet:

Next: Temporary admission by oral customs declaration