Emergency Tax

Avoiding Emergency Tax on personal pensions

You might receive a personal pension:

  • paid by your former employer
  • through a pension company
  • and, or
  • from your deceased spouse's or civil partner's pension provider.

To avoid having Emergency Tax deducted from this pension, you can:

When your pension provider receives the RPN, they can use it to calculate your tax and Universal Social Charge (USC).

A Tax Credit Certificate (TCC) will also be issued to you. You will be able to view, print or download your TCC in the 'My Documents' folder in myAccount.

Any queries regarding your pension product should be directed to your pension provider.